You are here:

“Experience is the Difference.®”

What if I entered the correct account and routing numbers, but the IRS made an error in depositing my fund?

Call the toll-free number 800-829-1040 to speak with an IRS customer service representative about any agency problems. Unless otherwise stated, customer support agents are accessible Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time (see telephone assistance for more information). Unfortunately, you may receive a paper check as a result of this.

I lost my refund check. How do I get a new one?

If you’ve misplaced your refund check, you should start the following procedure:

  • Use the automated system or speak with an agent by dialing the toll-free number 800-829-1954.
  • You cannot use the automated systems to start a trace if you filed a married filing jointly return. To begin the replacement procedure in this case, download and complete Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding RefundPDF, or the IRS can give you a Form 3911.

Next, your refund claim will be handled in one of two ways:

  • If the check was not cashed, you will receive a replacement check soon after the original check is cancelled.
  • If the refund check was cashed, you will get a claim package from the Bureau of Fiscal Service (BFS), which will contain a copy of the cashed check. Complete the claim package according to the instructions. Before issuing you a replacement check, BFS will verify your claim as well as the signature on the cancelled check. It may take up to six weeks to complete the BFS evaluation.

Is money received from the sale of inherited property considered taxable income?

You must first evaluate your basis in the property to see if the sale of inherited property is taxed. Property inherited from a decedent is usually based on one of the following:

  • The property’s fair market value (FMV) on the date of the decedent’s death, irrespective of the executor of the estate filing an estate tax return (Form 706, United States Estate (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return)
  • The property’s FMV on the alternate valuation date, but only if the executor of the estate files an estate tax return (Form 706) and chooses to apply the alternate valuation. Instructions for Form 706 can be found here.

Contact the executor of the decedent’s estate for information on the fair market value of inherited property on the date of the decedent’s death. Also, in 2015, Congress established a new law requiring the recipient’s basis in some inherited property to be consistent with the value of the property as calculated for Federal estate tax purposes in certain circumstances. Check out What’s New – Estate and Gift Tax for the latest information on the new law’s final rules.

See Publication 551, Basis of Assets, if you or your spouse gave the property to the decedent within one year of the decedent’s death.

The sale should be reported on Schedule D (Form 1040) and Form 8949, Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets, if:

  • You have a taxable gain if you sell the property for more than your basis.
  • You want instructions on how to record the sale on Schedule D, for which you need to see Publication 550, Investment Income and Expenses.

How do I receive a refund of erroneously withheld Delaware income taxes?

If you did not live or work in Delaware at any point during the taxable year, you must file a non-resident tax return (form 200-02) to receive a refund of erroneously withheld Delaware income taxes.

You must provide the following confirmation from your employer with your Delaware return:

  • During the taxable year, you did not work in Delaware at all.
  • Your employer withheld Delaware income taxes incorrectly, and
  • Your employer has not filed or will not file a Claim for Refund of such withholdings.